Thursday 31 March 2016

Leeds United Are Losing Another Generation Of Fans

Well, it pains me to write this but, I've never been so uninterested in my football club as I am now. All the bad press, the insults and the laughs at my football club just bore me to death. Yes, I agree. Leeds are a laughing stock. I'd rather laugh than cry when it comes to a ridiculous 4-1 loss at home to Huddersfield. This isn't a letter to the owner; to be honest, I don't know what it is! It's me speaking from the future. Telling everyone connected with United - another generation of fans will be lost. The lack of fight on the pitch; ambition from the board; honesty from coaches are just a regular thing now. So what in this damned world is motivating me to buy a ticket? Yes the odd few things come into play such as: - My support of Leeds United - Seeing other fans/friends - Watching the team play That isn't enough to pay £40+ for a ticket, plus travelling expenses. Not to mention three quarters of the time I do attend a Leeds game whether it be home or away, I come home sober and disappointed. Disappointed at the fact my team didn't get the right result and that my new Ralph Lauren Polo is covered in beer from the concourse. The fact of the matter is, supporters are losing interest. What's in it for us? Seemingly bugger all! I'd like to attend a football game being excited from my expectations of my team showing the passion, effort, and determination to get us another 3 points closer to something worth fighting for. Not to be lingering in mid-table and promising fans, next season will be different in February when the current season is over. Rarely you'll see a positive coming out of Leeds United these days, as they're often overshawdowed by the negatives created by Massimo Cellino. Who will in fact, drive this club into the ground. Still, some fans support him which baffles me. The protests are having a little impact on the ownership of the biggest club in Yorkshire - there is absolutely no sign of Cellino selling before next season. Therefore, it is very much acceptable for me to fear for next season. But do you know what? I can't be bothered anymore. If Leeds won't show the respect, loyalty, and passion - why should I? One generation of fans has already been lost, and as our current man in charge kindly puts it, "12 years in the sh**". Which is set to be 14 years. Not a thing has changed. Thinking about it, things have gotten worse! Going down to the local boozer and chatting to the oldest local about how he used to plant seeds in 1950 is genuinely more appealing than going to Elland Road. How sad is that? I'd say it's definitely not the same for most supporters but generally, interest has been lost. Huge respect to those fans who still find the willingness and ability to attend week in, week out. You're the heart and soul of our football club. I aren't sure how, or why you do it but; do you? I guess it's just a habit. If something doesn't change with the current state, I'm afraid fans will be lost, and so will the money. We'll spend many more years pondering relegation until it finally happens. We'll spend many more years wondering what could have been. We'll spend many more years dealing with the grief from our mates. "And no mate, I don't know what's going on at Leeds." #CellinoOUT

1 comment :

  1. At one time, just about still in living memory, clubs such as Huddersfield and PNE were giants of English football. Subsequent decades of sustained failure have reduced those clubs' stature and consigned their successes to the history books. The same thing is happening to the Mighty Whites right before our eyes. A promising 20 year old player's only experience of Leeds United is of a mediocre lower league team. Their parent's might remind them of the significance of the club and past achievements, much as Kasper Schmichel's dad reputedly did when advising his son to sign, but the reality, as realised by Kasper and many other promising players who've gone on to find success in the top division, is that Leeds are nothing more than a poorly run, mediocre lower league club. I still tell stories of Leeds playing Barcelona at Elland Road as if they were yesterday, but to my 12 year old son they might as well have been centuries ago. Fortunately the dire football, poor signings, pathetic lack of ambition and contempt for the fans shown by Cellino haven't dampened my son's enthusiasm for Super Leeds, and we will renew our season tickets, but he must now be one of a rapidly decreasing number of a new generation of fans. Cellino is clearly quite happy to run the club into the ground - just look at what he did at Cagliari.

    ReplyDelete